Thank you for listening to our Finding Brave show, ranked in the Top 100 Apple Career Podcasts!
“One of the things that haunts a lot of us is FOMO, and this is a challenge. It’s the fear of missing out. I think many folks would like to be committing to a long-term vision, but there’s often a lot of shiny objects along the way.” – Dorie Clark
It’s no secret that we’re pushed to the limit. Today’s professionals feel rushed, overwhelmed, and perennially behind. How can we break out of this endless cycle and create the kind of interesting, meaningful lives we all seek? Today’s Finding Brave guest is returning to the podcast to discuss her latest book, and what we can achieve by being a long-term thinker in a short-term world.
Dorie Clark is the author of the new book The Long Game: How to Be a Long-Term Thinker in a Short-Term World, and is a professor at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business, and a Harvard Business Review author. She is ranked #1 Communication Coach in the World by the Marshall Goldsmith Coaching Leading Global Coaches Awards, and named one of the Top 50 Business Thinkers in the World by Thinkers50.
Dorie is also the author of Reinventing You, Stand Out and Entrepreneurial You, which Inc. magazine declared the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 and Forbes named it one of the Top 10 Business Books of the Year.
Previously, Dorie worked as a journalist, where she won two New England Press Association awards; a presidential campaign spokesperson; and a producer of a multiple Grammy-winning jazz album. She also invests in Broadway productions, and is a lyricist in BMI’s Tony-Award winning Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Advanced Workshop.
In this episode, Dorie reveals how we can break out of our every day cycles in order to lead more interesting lives, the ways we can each create a “life portfolio” while building strategic patience, and the extraordinary ways that these powerful strategies can better our lives.
Highlights from this Episode:
- What the long-game is, and why Dorie felt so compelled to write a book focusing on this concept [6:31]
- The big reason members of society need to pay attention to what they are chasing [8:10]
- How Dorie implements long-term thinking into her own life, and what often prevents others from committing to their long-term visions [9:42]
- An example of how she reverse engineers the processes that she writes about in her books so that they are made clear to readers and listeners [12:48]
- What it looks like to build a life portfolio, and why she thinks we all should have one [16:45]
- The ways we can balance everyday life with the creation of our life portfolios [21:35
- The main theme that Dorie’s latest book focuses on, and what she considers the one cardinal rule when connecting with others and building relationships with them [24:33]
- What “white space” means, and why creating it is critical for our long-term success [30:27]
- How her Masters in Theological Studies helps her now in the work she does daily [35:24]
For More Information:
Her Latest Book, The Long Game: How to Be a Long-Term Thinker in a Short-Term World
JOIN THE FALL SESSION OF MY AMAZING CAREER PROJECT 16-WEEK COURSE AS AN EARLY BIRD AND SAVE $500 (PLUS 7 GREAT BONUSES)! Course Starts October 18th, 2021.
The Amazing Career Project 16-week online course is designed specifically to teach and guide mid- to high-level professional women around the globe through the 16 most essential steps to building a more rewarding, joyful and fulfilling career they love, with the respect and recognition they deserve. With a proven and highly transformative career-growth process that’s been honed over Kathy’s 16 years of career and leadership coaching, the course helps professional women be able to say, “I know exactly what I want and I’m finally getting it!”
Through the 16 weeks of the course session, you’ll get:
- A 16-week career and personal growth curriculum, with weekly training videos on the 16 most important steps to take for career breakthrough to more career reward, happiness and success. (Lifetime Access to all training material)
- 16 weekly, 75-min. group coaching calls with Kathy (held Thursdays, Noon – 1:15 pm EST) to support your momentum and address your questions, blocks, fears and issues. All calls are recorded.
- 16 powerful, tailored homework assignments to move you forward
- An amazing online support network of members to help you on your journey.
- Each session is capped at a max of 30 members, so there’s plenty of time on each call for personalized support from Kathy
- Direct access to Kathy and all the other course members (past and present) via the online forum, when you need help and support to answer your questions
- Kathy’s hand-picked collection of premier resources for additional help, support and learning
- PLUS: New material added each session, including important material from Kathy’s book The Most Powerful You, and her interviews with 100’s of renowned experts in the field of transformation and career and business growth.
- PLUS: Great lifetime discounts to Kathy’s private coaching programs and events
- PLUS: 7 great bonuses (including 75% discount off The Most Powerful You video foundational video training) when you sign up as an early bird before 10/6.
When you add it all up, that’s a HUGE array of valuable, career- and life-boosting material and support that’s not available elsewhere in any form! For endorsements and video testimonials about the course, visit my Praise page and the course info page.
And the training content of this course has earned a 9.3/10 rating from CourseMarks.com and is in the TOP 5% of 94,680 courses!
If you’re ready to take the essential steps to building an amazing career that you love, CLICK HERE to learn more and register!
Order Kathy’s book The Most Powerful You today! In Australia and New Zealand, click here to order, elsewhere outside North America, click here, and in the UK, click here. If you enjoy the book, we’d so appreciate your giving the book a positive rating and review on Amazon!
Other resources mentioned:
All of Her Books
Become a Sponsor!
We’re excited to be accepting new sponsors for Finding Brave now! If you have a business, program, product or service that helps professionals thrive and that resonates with the messages we share on Finding Brave, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact us via our contact form on the Finding Brave site (https://findingbrave.org/contact) to share more about your work/organization and your proposal. We’d love to speak with you!
I’m thrilled that both Audible.com and now Amazon Music are now sponsors of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offers and free trials today!
Need Some Amazing Assistance with Your Own Podcast? Here’s How to Get It
It’s not often that my wonderful podcast editor Matt and his team at PodAssist take on new clients, but they now have limited spots available to work with more great podcasters. If you’re looking for the best help possible (as I was when I began Finding Brave) in your own podcast today, or you’ve always wanted to launch a podcast but you weren’t even sure how to get it off the ground, this is your chance!
To check out the services they provide, go to www.PodAssist.com and if you’re like I was and want your time and energy back and your podcast to be the best it can be, reach out to him at firstname.lastname@example.org today (use the subject line “Kathy C. Sent Me” for a special bonus)!
Don’t delay – spots are very limited!
“Ultimately, [my new book] is about our lives and our careers, and how we can apply the principles of strategic thinking to hopefully get better outcomes, because so much in our society is optimized for the short-term.” [6:37]
“The problem is that we change strategies so often that we don’t even give ourselves a chance for the first strategy to work.” [10:06]
“Of course people can do things. They can do almost whatever they want if they work hard enough for a long enough duration. That’s the essence of the long game.” [16:26]
“You don’t just buy one stock. You invest in a portfolio, and that’s why you buy an index fund. Similarly, we need to do the same thing in our careers.” [17:46]
“In a society that prizes the short-term, so often where relationships go wrong, and where they die off before they even have a chance to bloom, is when people try to extract some value before it is appropriate.” [24:47]
Watch video versions of my interviews on Finding Brave!
Don’t forget – you can experience each Finding Brave interview episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my Youtube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!
Please share your positive ratings and reviews!
If you enjoy the show, we’d be so very grateful for a positive rating and review on Apple Podcasts! These great ratings help us reach more and more people who are interested in boosting their careers, businesses, and their leadership, and keep in the Top 100 Apple Career Podcasts in the U.S. and around the world and in the top 1.5% of over 2.6 million podcasts! Thank you!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS POST: