“So many employees are just waiting for something to happen. They’re waiting to be promoted, they’re waiting for the next thing, and it’s not necessarily as clear as it used to be. So we want the employees to say, ‘Hey, here’s where I’m aiming, here’s where I want to go, what are the skills that I need to develop to get there?’” – Dorie Clark
The ability to think more entrepreneurially is essential for all leaders, even those who work within companies. In this timely conversation, Dorie Clark joins us to share her expertise on how we can become more effective leaders by embracing and leveraging our entrepreneurial mindset and capabilities, no matter what type of work setting or culture we’re engaged in.
Dorie Clark is the author of the new book Entrepreneurial You. Her past books include Reinventing You and Stand Out, which was named the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 by Inc. magazine. A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, she teaches at Duke University and writes frequently for the Harvard Business Review.
You’ll hear from Dorie on how you’ll benefit from having a willingness to talk about, and learn from, failure, as well as how to test and bring your new products and services to market – rather than just making a huge bet and praying it all works out. Dorie explains how to create multiple revenue streams to reduce risk and increase overall ‘career security. And she explains why we should all be reframing the concept of what entrepreneurship truly means.
Highlights from this Episode:
- What to consider when creating multiple income streams in your business [5:04]
- Ways to expand your reach strategically and how Dorie does this herself [8:59]
- How to transition from making money from something, to making money because of something [12:44]
- Dorie’s tips for persevering and thriving as an entrepreneur, while minimizing risk [15:52]
- Why we need to redefine and rethink about who entrepreneurs really are [21:29]
- How corporations have shifted and why they now want employees to take control of their careers [24:20]
- The most important things to understand about how we communicate our personal brand, and the biggest mistakes people are making around this [26:49]
For more information:
Dorie’s Latest Book, Entrepreneurial You: Monetize Your Expertise, Create Multiple Income Streams, and Thrive and her other works
Dorie’s Free Resource, 88 Question Entrepreneurial You Self-Assessment or text “dorieclark” to 44222
Kathy’s TEDx talk “Time to Brave Up”
Also of interest:
Kathy’s Forbes interview with Dorie Clark on Introverts and Networking:
“It’s very fun and very gratifying to do networking, if you’re just hanging out with your pals.” [3:26]
“Seeking out, proactively, multiple income streams and how to strategically develop that for your business can be transformative.” [5:30]
“I write articles largely based on things that I want to learn about, and it gives me an excuse to learn about them.” [10:48]
“If you’re an entrepreneur, fundamentally that means that you’re driving your train. You’re taking control of your future and you are building a business.” [23:33]
“It was really a wake-up call for me that so many people who were entrepreneurs did not think of themselves that way.” [24:04]
“(In regards to personal branding) people are failing to connect the dots for other people.” [27:20]