“There are parts of ourselves that we made invisible, and Rare Breed is really about owning who you are in order to succeed. It’s not just the pretty parts, but it’s all of who you are. Bring all of your humanness to the table and make your vices your virtues.” – Sunny Bonnell
Along with her partner, Ashleigh Hansberger, today’s Finding Brave guest Sunny Bonnell has literally written the book on identifying a new approach for the mavericks, oddballs, and visionaries of the future. She shares how you can stop trying to conform, and instead use what you’ve been told is working against you to actually start working for you as you become the person you are dreaming to be.
Sunny Bonnell and Ashleigh Hansberger are authors of the new book RARE BREED: A Guide to Success for the Defiant, Dangerous, and Different and the award-winning founders of Motto, one of the top branding and digital agencies for rule-breakers and game-changers. Between the two of them, they are members of the Young Entrepreneur Council, and have graced lists such as GDUSA’s Top 25 People to Watch and Inc. 30 Under 30, and America’s Coolest Young Entrepreneurs.
In this episode, Sunny reveals their “7 Rare Breed Traits” that you can celebrate to start to own who you really are, because the future of business belongs to the disrupters, and the ones who don’t play by the rules but change them.
Highlights from this Episode
- What is a “rare breed” and what makes them so different than other people [3:36]
- What shapes the way we see ourselves, starting at a young age, and why so many of us have stayed silent instead of celebrating our rare breed [6:45]
- Why Sunny feels that each life is “worthy of being witnessed” and what this means to her [8:22]
- A recent talk that she gave and the surprising impact she made on one particular person in the audience [11:10]
- The 7 Rare Breed Traits that Sunny and Ashleigh have identified and the duality that exists in each one [13:42]
- How they now help individuals and companies display their rare breed and build a memorable brand [16:48]
- The way that Sunny got her start in branding and the way that she and Ashleigh built their branding business from the ground up [17:50]
- Her hope for readers of their book, and the steps we can take to proactively use our virtues, while avoiding taking a destructive path with them [26:30]
- Why Sunny feels that hearing the word “no” is really an opportunity for you [34:20]
For More Information:
Sunny & Ashley’s Book, RARE BREED: A Guide to Success for the Defiant, Dangerous, and Different & Audible Version
Take The Rare Breed Quiz
Tony Robbins, I Am Not Your Guru (Documentary)
Kathy’s Amazing Career Project
For more about Kathy’s upcoming book The Most Powerful You: 7 Bravery-Boosting Paths To Career Bliss, sign up for her weekly newsletter at https://kathycaprino.com for updates, free giveaways, contests, and more, coming in Spring 2020
“At its simplest definition, a rare breed is unordinary among the kind. How do we stand out amongst the herd?” [3:38]
“It was important for us as we wrote the book to not only highlight what it meant to tap into each of the 7 virtues, but also look at how they could be a vice.” [14:17]
“I think we’re all a vessel in some way, and we have to figure out what to do with that power.” [23:38]
“Own who you are. In a world that wants to own you, learn to lean into who you are, and celebrate it.” [28:12]
“I think that if we had more people who felt alive and who felt truly, truly connected to their work, the world would probably be a little bit of a happier place” [31:51]
“Rare Breed got rejected 18 times, so I’ve heard ‘no’ more than I’d like to admit.” [34:20]
I’m thrilled to share that Audible.com is a sponsor of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offer of one FREE book of your choice with a 30-day FREE membership trial! And feel free to keep the book even if you cancel the membership. Click here to sign up for your free book! http://www.audibletrial.com/FindingBrave
Watch the video of this episode!
Now you can experience each Finding Brave episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my YouTube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS POST: