“These kids are growing up with social media, and while I don’t think social media is evil or wicked, if they’re on social media they are being bombarded by as many as 10,000 messages a day. I don’t think our brains are meant to take in 10,000 messages a day, so mentally they are just overwhelmed.” – Tim Elmore
This generation of students who have grown up in the 21st century are the most social, the most empowered, and also the most anxious youth population in human history. If you are struggling to connect with, parent, and lead them, you are not alone. Today’s Finding Brave expert guest shows how their best chance of success starts when adults choose to believe in them, challenge them, and walk with them through the nine greatest challenges today’s youth will face.
Dr. Tim Elmore is a best-selling author and international speaker who equips educators, coaches, leaders, and parents of Generations Y and Z. He has authored more than 30 books, including his latest work Generation Z Unfiltered: Facing Nine Hidden Challenges of the Most Anxious Population and has trained thousands of leaders in nationally-renowned organizations like the Nebraska Department of Education, National FFA Organization, University of Alabama Athletic Department, The Ohio State University, and Chick-fil-A.
In this episode Tim not only gives practical strategies for lowering the anxiety levels in the young people that you know, but he also shares how to equip them to be life-ready using problems, relationships, visuals and experiences.
Highlights from this Episode
- Who makes up Generation Z and what are the biggest challenges they face today [4:07]
- What we need to understand, and do, to start addressing the anxiety in our children [8:08]
- How a fear of missing out, as well as a fear of messing up, is impacting Generation Z [9:39]
- What research is telling us helps determine someone’s success, and the big change that’s been happening over the last several decades [16:44]
- Tim’s step-by-step “P.R.O.V.E” method that will build the internal locus of control within our children [18:54]
- Why he believes that training the children of today should start with a problem that needs to be solved, and not a curriculum [19:19]
- What’s missing in the relationships between many educators and members of Generation Z [20:28]
- An example of what can occur when we give ownership to our youth [21:47]
- The important roles that visuals and experience play in developing our children [24:48]
- Tim’s perspectives on the recent college admissions scandal, and why he says that belief in the children could have changed everything [29:50]
For More Information:
Kathy and Tim’s Blog Post, 7 Crippling Parenting Behaviors That Keep Children From Growing Into Leaders
Kathy’s Blog Post with Esther Wojcicki, 5 Essential Keys To Teaching And Raising Phenomenally Successful Adults
For more about Kathy’s upcoming book The Most Powerful You: 7 Bravery-Boosting Paths To Career Bliss, sign up for her weekly newsletter at https://kathycaprino.com for updates, free giveaways, contests, and more, coming in Spring 2020
“This will not be a newsflash to listeners, but mental health is the biggest issue that Generation Z would be facing today.” [8:09]
“It is a different world now, and I think the kids feel that day in and day out.” [10:40]
“I think the educating or training of kids shouldn’t start with curriculum, but should start with a problem that needs to be solved.” [19:19]
“In many ways employers and educators fail to really build genuine authentic relationships with a learner. Based off our data, kids learn better from a person that they think actually likes them.” [20:18]
“We must build a bridge of relationship that can bear the weight of truth, and sometimes hard truth.” [21:19]
“If you lead with vulnerability, you’ll get such genuine responses back from your kids.” [27:13]
I’m thrilled to share that Audible.com is a sponsor of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offer of one FREE book of your choice with a 30-day FREE membership trial! And feel free to keep the book even if you cancel the membership. Click here to sign up for your free book! http://www.audibletrial.com/FindingBrave
Watch the video of this episode!
Now you can experience each Finding Brave episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my YouTube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!