On today’s Finding Brave, Courtney Carver shares how she realized she needed to make huge changes to her high-stress life after a devastating diagnosis in 2006. Through her process of simplifying, decluttering and letting go, she was able to reverse her debilitating symptoms of multiple sclerosis and dramatically improve her life, work and relationships in truly amazing ways. And she teaches us how we can do the same.
The founder of bemorewithless.com and of the minimalist fashion challenge Project 333, Courtney is the author of the riveting new book Soulful Simplicity: How Living With Less Can Lead To So Much More, recently published by Penguin Random House.
In our interview, she reveals the power of simplicity to improve our health, build more meaningful relationships, and relieve stress in ways that will transform how you live, love and work.
While Courtney has been able to bring about big transformations, she explains how BIG change is actually the result of many, consistent micro steps, and they all count. Simplicity is more than just clean countertops and organized bookshelves; it’s the way back to love.
Most importantly, after listening to today’s show, you’ll see how taking care of yourself in mindful, loving and fully present ways is the most unselfish thing you can do.
Highlights from this Episode:
- How Courtney came to realize that simplifying her life was the answer, and the steps she took towards this [5:18]
- Her thoughts on getting outside help versus learning how to listen to your own voice [13:02]
- The critical ways simplifying your life can lead to experiencing more love [14:39]
- Courtney’s advice for the high-level employee looking to “de-clutter” his or her career [16:57]
- How Courtney’s work has affected the relationships with her family, and why she considers her book a “love letter” to her daughter [20:49]
- The practical steps to take now to get you moving on the path to simplification [24:57]
- Why consistency is so much more important than intensity [25:23]
For more information, visit:
Resources mentioned in this podcast:
Courtney’s Book, Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More
“I really had to stop and assess how I was living my life, and figure out how to live well with MS, but also how to live well.” [3:46]
“At first I didn’t think of that clutter as stress, but when I really started paying attention to it, it was this constant reminder of my debt and discontent.” [7:39]
“I forgot that what I believed mattered, and that’s really where the entire journey has come from. It’s knowing that I can trust myself, and learning how to trust myself again.” [14:13]
“Without presence there’s very little connection. Without connection, there’s very little chance for love.” [15:14]