“It is perfectly ok to say ‘Yes,’ and it is perfectly ok to say ‘No.’ I talk about it this way now, that if it’s a ‘Hell Yes,’ it’s a ‘Yes.’ If it’s a ‘Hell No,’ it’s a ‘No.’ Anything in between is a ‘Hell No,’ because if it’s a ‘Maybe,’ it’s just hell. – Sue Hawkes
Does perfection exist as a constant in our lives, work, and relationships? Not in reality, but so many people today feel that perfection in life and business is something we need to strive for and should be able to attain at all times. Today’s Finding Brave guest shatters this illusion of perfection and shows us how we can start loving and accepting ourselves differently, in a very powerful way – right now.
Sue Hawkes helps CEOs and their leadership teams succeed. As a bestselling author, award-winning leader, Certified EOS Implementer, Certified Business Coach, WPO Chapter Chair, and globally recognized award-winning seminar leader, Sue brings over thirty years of business experience to her clients.
As CEO of YESS!, Sue has designed and delivered dynamic, transformational programs for thousands of people. Her most recent book, Chasing Perfection – Shatter the Illusion; Minimize Self-Doubt & Maximize Success helps us live more successful, fulfilling lives on our own terms. Sue is also a frequent contributor to publications including Forbes, Inc., Entrepreneur, Fortune, Fast Company, Ladders, HR.com Thrive Global and the New York Daily News.
Sue’s message resonates with me personally because it’s about being brave and bold enough to make an assessment about what matters to you personally and pursuing that with gusto and confidence. When you’re truly at peace and in close touch with yourself, then the drama or negativity around you doesn’t agitate you as it did before. To be at the pinnacle of whatever you do means you are at the top of your game. This is a beautiful space to be in, because you are deeply fulfilled and also making a great big dent in this world.
Highlights from this Episode:
- What it really means to be at the “top of our game”, and what’s getting in the way of female leaders being “unf*ckwithable” [3:32]
- The imposter syndrome that many women face and what the research is really saying about female leaders [6:40]
- Sue’s strategies for making space so that we can create and what can happen when we don’t do this [11:25]
- Why she says that it’s perfectly ok (and essential) to say “Yes,” as well as “NO!” to the opportunities we are presented with [18:26]
- The reasons that work/life balance doesn’t exist, and what Sue believes in instead as the future of the workplace [22:00]
- Practical strategies for how you can be “unf*ckwithable”, and the mindset changes that will help make this possible [31:19]
- A powerful way to reframe the different chapters we have in each of our lives [37:26]
- Who Sue helps and the type of leader she sees as her ideal client [38:31]
For More Information:
Her Maximizing Success Journal (Download a free week of the Maximizing Success Journal by texting JOURNAL7 to 44222)
“As much as I’d like to downplay and think we’ve come a long way in this world, I think there’s still some very strong gender stereotypes at play.” [5:04]
“Most women struggle with the paradox of having to work twice as hard to get half the credit.” [5:39]
“All the research will tell you is that female leaders are better leaders, because they’re more authentic.” [9:15]
“If you don’t love it and it doesn’t increase the joy in your life, you will make far more money by having someone else do that (task).” [13:11]
“Interrupt the pattern of pushing, because you’re less and less effective and you’re working harder and harder to get less done.” [15:15]
“I think often we’re satisfying the ‘shoulds’ and the things we believe people are expecting, or that we adopted along the way from a teacher, family or society.” [32:13]
I’m thrilled to share that Audible.com is a sponsor of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offer of one FREE book of your choice with a 30-day FREE membership trial! And feel free to keep the book even if you cancel the membership. Click here to sign up for your free book! http://www.audibletrial.com/FindingBrave
Watch the video of this episode!
Now you can experience each Finding Brave episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my YouTube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!