“A connector is someone who is people-focused in their approach to interactions, to life, to business, and to everything. If we prioritize our relationships and our people, whether they are professional or personal, we will get the advantage, which simply means faster, easier, and better.” – Michelle Tillis Lederman
The way we connect with others is so important because connectors get results faster, easier, and better. Today’s Finding Brave guest reveals not only how connectors have a way of thinking and acting that enable stronger connections, but also shares how anyone can be a connector, not just extroverts.
Michelle Tillis Lederman, one of Forbes Top 25 Networking Experts, is the author of four books including the internationally known, The 11 Laws of Likability, and her latest The Connectors Advantage. Michelle is a connection creator and CEO of Executive Essentials, which provides customized communications and leadership programs for Fortune 500, non-profit, university, and government clients. A former finance executive and NYU Professor, Michelle is a regular in the media appearing on NBC, CBS, Fox, NPR, the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, CNBC, and others.
There are many different types of connectors, a whole spectrum in fact, as Michelle shows us in this episode. By becoming a better connector, you’ll see that we do live in a friendly and warm Universe, but ultimately it comes down to each one of us learning how to trust ourselves, and others.
Highlights from this Episode:
- Why Michelle feels that her book is needed right now, and how it differs from other books on connection that are available [3:42]
- The difference between networking and connecting [5:19]
- What she means when she says there is an “Introvert’s Edge” that exists [7:39]
- Examples from her own life that show how true relationships can be a great benefit [11:02]
- How helping others often takes less than you think it will [15:44]
- The strategies Michelle uses for determining whether to say “Yes” or “No” to opportunities she is presented [19:14]
- The very first way we can level up with our own connecting [25:44]
- What a niche connector is and how you can broaden your horizons to become a super connector, and even global connector [27:00]
- A simple but powerful tip for anyone being interviewed [28:34]
- What having a relationship-driven leader will do for an organization [31:59]
For More Information:
Michelle’s Latest Book, The Connector’s Advantage: 7 Mindsets to Grow Your Influence and Impact (with bonuses) & All Of Her Previous Books
How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job by Sally Helgesen and Marshall Goldsmith
“We’re in the network age, and our best and most important assets are our relationships.” [3:58]
“I always talk about appreciating the differences, but better yet, call out the similarities. We have to dig a little bit deeper to find them, but they’re typically there. They’re just not as visibly obvious at all times.” [4:40]
“I wanted people to understand that it is nurture over nature. Anybody can fuse these mindsets into their interactions to reap the same reward, but they don’t have to do it in the same way.” [7:46]
“You need to know what you want, but if you don’t ask for it, you’re not getting it. There’s no way to get the advantage if you don’t ask.” [14:48]
“Connectors do what they say they’re going to do, they follow up and they follow through.” [17:36]
“Faster, easier, and better. It’s all because of our connections, so get connected.” [25:32]
“The more people who we bring in that have that generous spirit, the greater and the more rich the conversations are. So as we start to initiate more, we move from a responsive to acting connector.” [26:33]
I’m thrilled to share that Audible.com is a sponsor of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offer of one FREE book of your choice with a 30-day FREE membership trial! And feel free to keep the book even if you cancel the membership. Click here to sign up for your free book! http://www.audibletrial.com/FindingBrave
Watch the video of this episode!
Now you can experience each Finding Brave episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my Youtube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!