“You have to think about pitching as a two-way dialogue. It’s not, ‘let me sell myself.’ It’s not, ‘let me announce what’s great about me’ to the world. It’s a two-way dialogue and you have to be thinking just as hard about that journalist on the other end of your email as about you and what you have to say.” – Mark Fortier
In this episode of Finding Brave, my special guest will reveal not only how you can get the attention of top media, but also how to make the most of your appearance and then absolutely rock it.
My guest, Mark Fortier, is a 25-year veteran of public relations work, and President and Founder of Fortier Public Relations, a PR firm specializing in business books and business thought leadership. He has worked on well over a hundred bestsellers, eight #1 bestsellers and books by dozens of Fortune 500 CEOs and 32 of the Thinkers50 list of the world’s leading business thinkers including Jim Collins, Clayton Christensen, and Seth Godin.
As you’ll hear, it’s very doable to get picked up in the news, but you do need to be smart in the way you approach it. Mark shares his deep experience and insights on the best strategies to use to be successful in landing great interviews with top media and putting your best foot forward, as well as the common pitfalls many professionals experience when attempting to achieve and attract top exposure in the media.
Highlights from this Episode:
- Mark’s beginnings in the book publishing business and how it led him to starting his own company [4:02]
- His top strategies for getting your project noticed in the media [6:10]
- The basics for pitching to others and one big mistake that many people are making when doing this [10:40]
- Ways to use social media and search engines to see what is trending [17:07]
- Why following up is so important and Mark’s recommendations on how to do it correctly [18:22]
- What to consider in order to manage your online reputation [20:22]
- What not to do in when being interviewed [24:57]
- The best way to prepare for your appearances and execute during them [30:12]
- When and why someone should hire a PR firm and how to choose the right one for you [33:29]
For More Information:
Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
“We started getting more and more demand for business books. Most of my colleagues ran from them and didn’t really know what to do with them, and I just unexpectedly clicked with those authors. I just loved connecting with these top strategic minds.” [4:05]
“I’d recommend to anybody starting a business to be a specialist. I don’t think I’d be doing as well as I’m doing right now if I had decided to just be a publicist of any kind.” [4:40]
“If you are pitching media, your best friend is a well-written email and a really well-written subject line.” [11:37]
“It is important for you to show poise, to look your best and to project confidence and competence when doing an interview, because they’re going to remember that.’ [32:55]
“I have 25 years of experience doing this, and every single project I work on, I learn from.” [34:33]
I’m thrilled to share that Audible.com is a sponsor of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offer of one FREE book of your choice with a 30-day FREE membership trial! And feel free to keep the book even if you cancel the membership. Click here to sign up for your free book! http://www.audibletrial.com/FindingBrave
Watch the video of this episode!
Now you can experience each Finding Brave episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my YouTube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!