Humans are spiritual beings but unfortunately, because we are so influenced by external factors, many of us have become disconnected from our spiritual selves. This results in people making life and career choices that do not align with their core values or purpose, which is causing a great deal of suffering. Today’s inspiring guest, Joseph Holt, is on a mission to help people make work (and life) decisions that allow them to live their lives in a way that is true to their core values, ideals and beliefs.
Joe has held an amazingly diverse range of jobs throughout the course of his life, from gym teacher to Jesuit priest to stock broker to corporate attorney, to today where he is living out his calling as a professor at the University of Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business teaching spirituality, ethics, gender equity, and negotiations courses.
In this episode, Joe delves into the 7 Recommended Practices for Being Your Spiritual Best Self at Work that he has developed, which include:
- Set yourself up for spiritual success
- Determine whether you need to see your current work differently or do different work
- Be alert for opportunities to be your spiritual best self
- Choose your work (and life) friends wisely
- Be as committed to your spiritual well-being as you are to your physical well-being
- Monitor your spiritual progress (or regress!) with special attention to impact
- Listen most of all to the quiet inner voice that guides you at your best.
Joe shares that “Morality is the public face of your spirituality,” so tune in today to hear how you can strengthen the link between these two vitally important facets of your life and take new, enlivening steps to find long-lasting meaning and fulfillment in your work.
Key Highlights From This Episode:
- Introducing Joseph (Joe) Holt, former Jesuit priest and current professor at the University of Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business. [02:36]
- The most common regret that people have at the end of their lives and how you can avoid being one of those people. [05:33]
- Questions to ask yourself to set yourself up for spiritual success in the workplace. [15:12]
- The value of learning to be at peace with not knowing exactly what you want to do with your life. [18:42]
- Examples of how you can change your approach to your work to make it more meaningful to you. [21:18]
- How your workplace can provide you with opportunities to be the best version of yourself. [24:45]
- Why the people you surround yourself with are an influential part of your personal spiritual journey. [28:43]
- The transformative power of incorporating spiritual practices (however this speaks to you) into your daily life. [36:25]
- An exercise to strengthen the link between your morality (the way you conduct yourself in the world) and your spirituality (your belief system). [40:29]
- How to connect with your inner voice. [48:33]
For More Information:
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Bronnie Ware’s book, The Top Five Regrets of the Dying
The German poet, Rainer Maria Rilke
William Deresiewicz’s essay, Solitude and Leadership
Resources from Joe
It’s not too late to take your professional life and leadership to the next level FAST!
JOIN “THE MOST POWERFUL YOU” 8-WEEK COACHING AND TRAINING COURSE WITH KATHY!
I’m thrilled to be offering a new Spring session of my 8-week coaching and training course The Most Powerful You which started May 10th (but we’re happy to have you join us this week!)!
In 8 powerhouse weeks together, I’ll train all about the content of my book The Most Powerful You helping professional women address what I’ve seen are the 7 most damaging power and confidence gaps that block women from achieving their most exciting goals, and happiest highest potential and success. This includes imposter syndrome that impacts 75% of executive women today.
The course offers:
- 8 Weekly Zoom Coaching calls with me
- 8 Video Training Modules
- A Step-by-by process for boosting your Career, Confidence and Impact
- Fantastic Additional Resources from over 30 of the nation’s top experts
- A Private Online Support Group for Members
- And more
Spots are very limited so sign up now at mostpowerfulyou.com. Register now and join us!
I’ve delivered aspects of this training to over 50 organizations worldwide (including at a division of the United Nations) and participants have called it transformative and life-changing. I’m confident this course will move you forward fast. Hope to see you there!
Calling all coaches!
Do you run a coaching business that focuses on supporting professional women? If so, I’ve got some news.
Right now, we’ve opened the enrollment window of my coach training program called The Amazing Career Coach Certification, which is a 17-week, hands-on training program that certifies female coaches in my proprietary 16-step career growth model, which is perfect for coaches who want a deeper dive into powerful, proven coaching frameworks, concepts, and skills that will help you become far more effective in working with women.
And through the program, you’ll get access to a powerful Small Business Acceleration program called The Rapid Growth Academy, delivered by my friend and colleague, award-winning business growth expert Matthew Pollard.
Through Matthew’s program, you’ll be taught essential business and sales growth info that will help you grow your business success in the quickest way possible.
In my view, there’s nothing on the market like for coaches because it targets the two critical aspects of success: How to effectively support clients – who are mid- to high-level professional women – to rise, thrive and leverage their amazing talents and experience, and just as importantly, how to grow your own business to the next level.
For more information, visit certification.amazingcareerproject.com and check out the details. Hope to work with you this Spring!
Order Kathy’s book The Most Powerful You today!
In Australia and New Zealand, click here to order, elsewhere outside North America, click here, and in the UK, click here.
If you enjoy the book, we’d so appreciate your giving the book a positive rating and review on Amazon! And check out Kathy’s digital companion course The Most Powerful You, to help you close the 7 most damaging power gaps in the most effective way possible.
Kathy’s Power Gaps Survey, Support To Build Your LinkedIn Profile To Great Success & Other Free Resources
Kathy’s TEDx Talk, Time To Brave Up & Free Career Path Self-Assessment
Kathy’s Amazing Career Project video training course & 6 Dominant Action Styles Quiz
I’m thrilled that both Audible.com and Amazon Music are sponsors of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offers and free trials today!
“A lot of us are unduly influenced by outside messages, many of which are not helpful.” — Joe Holt [0:12:40]
“When it comes to choosing work, am I choosing the work that is going to most engage and fulfill me or the work that is going most to impress others? Am I choosing the work that is going to be richest in meaning for me or the work that is going to pay the most?” — Joe Holt [0:16:31]
“The German poet, Rainer Maria Rilke, wrote a collection of letters to a young poet he was mentoring — and his advice was, ‘Be patient toward everything unresolved in your heart and learn to love the questions themselves.’” — Joe Holt [0:19:21]
“Questions are your friend, questions are an ally. They’re going to lead you to the place where you need to be.” — Joe Holt [0:20:02]
“The best friends we have in life encourage us to be our best selves.” — Joe Holt [0:28:43]
“When it comes to choosing what work you do or what friendships you’re in, have you planted yourself in a garden in which you can blossom to full growth?” — Joe Holt [0:32:17]
Watch our Finding Brave episodes on YouTube!
Don’t forget – you can experience each Finding Brave episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my YouTube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!