Legacy leadership isn’t just a leadership style or a list of things to do, or showing up pretending you have all the answers. In today’s show, Gina Gomez shares her belief that truly impactful leaders don’t follow trends or pursue fame and fortune; instead, they build trust in the workplace, adhere to ethical practices, and live their legacy in the here and now.
Gina is a business advisor and strategist who has worked with leaders of multimillion-dollar companies and unions, including CBS/Viacom, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, and the United Food & Commercial workers. She is also the founder of Gina Gomez and Associates, a female-led and minority-run company that hires and trains leaders and teams to perform at their best in ever-changing business environments.
For more than 20 years, Gina has helped industry leaders develop the skills they need to lead. With a proven track record ranging from Fortune 500 companies to the entertainment industry and the online business world, she teaches her clients how to create a profitable and sustainable business where everyone feels welcome, respected, and included.
In this episode, Gina defines what legacy leadership means to her and we discuss what it really takes to run a sustainable, impactful business. As you’ll learn, Gina believes that great leadership starts with integrity and identifying and adhering to your core values. Join us today to find out what actually makes a good leader versus what we often are told makes a good leader, why ethical leadership benefits everyone (including your bottom line), how to experience your true purpose, and so much more.
Key Highlights From This Episode:
- Dispelling misconceptions about what great leadership looks like. [04:35]
- Why you’re going in the wrong direction if you’re looking for your career to fulfill you. [08:05]
- Why ‘integrity’ is the simplest possible definition of leadership for Gina. [09:35]
- How you only get part of the story if you just look at the numbers. [14:35]
- What the term ‘legacy leadership’ means to Gina and how we can create it. [15:23]
- Major mistakes that Gina sees business leaders frequently making. [20:30]
- What so many of us are taught good leadership is versus what actually makes a good leader! [23:02]
- The value of change management, strong communication, and relationship building. [27:10]
- Insight into Gina’s “accidental” career trajectory and the important role of curiosity. [32:38]
For More Information:
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
JOIN ME STARTING FEBRUARY 1ST FOR MY LIVE, 8-WEEK CAREER AND LEADERSHPI TRAINING PROGRAM THE MOST POWERFUL YOU!
I’m thrilled to be offering a new 8–week LIVE career and leadership coaching and training course all about how to become The Most Powerful and Confident You in your work, leadership and professional life. The ultimate outcome of this training to to help you overcome exactly what’s in the way now of reaching your highest potential and most thrilling success, goals and impact, in work you love and are proud of.
Based on my work with thousands of professional women worldwide in the past 10 years and drawing on the content from my latest book The Most Powerful You: 7 Bravery-Boosting Paths to Carer Bliss, the course walk members through exactly how to recognize and close the 7 most damaging Power And Confidence Gaps that keep millions of professionals from thriving and succeeding in meaningful work of significance that deeply matters to them. Participants will learn the critical steps to:
- Recognize and more fully leverage their great talents, accomplishments and achievements
- Speak up with confidence, not fear
- Ask for what they want and deserve, and get it
- Build a powerful and helpful support community that will open doors for them and help them thrive and advance
- Effectively challenge mistreatment and unfair behavior
- Reconnect to the thrilling dream they once had for their life and work – and get back on track to achieve that dream
- Heal and overcome challenges and pain from the past that are holding them back today
I’ve been delivering workshops and trainings on The Most Powerful You for over two years now to over 50 organizations and conferences (including an international division of the United Nations and other top global companies), and folks are saying it’s been truly transformative and life-changing for them. (See endorsements on The Most Powerful You page and my LinkedIn profile.)
To scale this training and offer it in a more expansive way, I’m thrilled to offer this live, 8-week coaching and training course starting February 1st that includes:
- 8 WEEKLY LIVE Zoom Group Coaching Calls with me
- 8 Video Training Modules (total of 16 videos – 4 hours in total)
- A Step-by-Step Career and Confidence-Growth Training Curriculum
- More than 50 Additional Curated Resources for expanded learning.
- Private Online Facebook Support Group.
- AND you’ll receive lifetime access to all the training materials and a 20% discount on my private coaching and other programs.
Sign up now at https://mostpowerfulyou.com as an early bird and get 8 great bonuses and save $300 off the full price!
Order Kathy’s book The Most Powerful You today!
If you enjoy the book, we’d so appreciate your giving the book a positive rating and review on Amazon! And check out Kathy’s digital companion course The Most Powerful You, to help you close the 7 most damaging power gaps in the most effective way possible.
I’m thrilled that both Audible.com and Amazon Music are sponsors of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offers and free trials today!
“A lot of [leaders] are looking for significance. We think that, when we have significance, it’s going to solve all of our problems. It’s not.” — @GinaGomezAssoc [0:07:30]
“For me, [leadership] is a single word, and it’s integrity.” — @GinaGomezAssoc [0:09:50]
“If you only look at the numbers, you’re only getting part of the story. You have to look at everything. How does your team perform? What are [your measurable outcomes]? And how does that translate into your goals and return on investment?” — @GinaGomezAssoc [0:15:06]
“Legacy is what we leave behind. It’s the imprint that we leave when we’re long gone. It’s the people that we affect through the work that we do that we never, ever know about.” — @GinaGomezAssoc [0:15:33]
“It’s one of the most significant pieces of leadership that gets taught the least, and most people do not know how to do it. When you’re in a situation like this—a pandemic or anything else—if you don’t know change management, you’re in serious trouble.” — @GinaGomezAssoc [0:27:34]
“As leaders, we are constantly looking to reinvent ourselves.” — @GinaGomezAssoc [0:36:36]
Watch our Finding Brave episodes on YouTube!
Don’t forget – you can experience each Finding Brave episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my YouTube channel at youtube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!