Today’s guest believes that it’s very important to understand your worth and embrace your full potential, even when/if others don’t see it. Motivated by a desire to open doors of opportunity for others, Octavia Goredema became a career coach and went on to author the PREP, PUSH, PIVOT: Essential Career Strategies for Underrepresented Women.
Originally from England, Octavia now lives in Los Angeles, and in recognition of her work, she has been appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire by the Queen, one of the UK’s highest civic honors.
In this episode, Octavia shares her fascinating story and explores essential career strategies for underrepresented women and others. You’ll hear what inspired her to write her book, why its message is so important to her personally, and what it means to truly know your worth even when it’s not reflected back to you.
Tuning in, you’ll hear more about why it’s so important to track your accomplishments, learn how snarky comments can actually propel you forward, why you should have a ‘bragalogue’ prepared for the right opportunities, and how the way in which you show up in the world and make people feel is a key part of your mission and value. To find out what you need to understand more deeply about the plight of underrepresented women and how to support women and all individuals in your sphere to thrive, tune in today!
Key Highlights From This Episode:
- Introducing today’s guest, career coach, and author Octavia Goredema. [01:21]
- How Octavia came to be appointed a member of the Order of the British Empire by the Queen [04:01]
- What inspired Octavia to write this book and why its message is so important to her and others. [07:40]
- How to determine your worth when it’s not reflected back at you. [11:49]
- Why it’s so important to track your accomplishments [15:20]
- Why you should have a ‘bragalogue’ prepared and why women are often resistant to this. [19:26]
- The importance of knowing what your non-negotiables are. [24:22]
- What listeners need to understand about the plight of underrepresented women. [26:11]
- Why it’s so important for companies to invest in diverse talent. [28:06]
- The importance of your circle and mentors, sponsors, or advocates. [32:13]
For More Information:
PREP, PUSH, PIVOT: Essential Career Strategies for Underrepresented Women
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Octavia’s book: PREP, PUSH, PIVOT: Essential Career Strategies for Underrepresented Women
Octavia’s book on Audible: PREP, PUSH, PIVOT: Essential Career Strategies for Underrepresented Women
Kathy and Octavia in Elite Daily: Asking for a Raise Isn’t as Scary as It Seems, Thanks to These Expert Tips
Kathy and Octavia in CNN: Quiet quitting is the latest workplace trend, but it doesn’t mean what you think
Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It, by Peggy Klaus
You can read the first chapter of Octavia’s book by joining my email community at octaviagoredema.com
Join Kathy Caprino for her FREE Webinar January 13, 2023 at Noon EST – Close Your Confidence Gaps Now AND Build Your Best and Happiest Career
I’m so excited to share that I will be offering a FREE 90-minute webinar on January 13th at Noon EST all about how to Close Your Confidence Gaps Now and Build Your Best and Happiest Career, drawing on my latest book The Most Powerful You. I’ll be sharing key information, strategies and powerful action steps based on years of research and working with thousands of professionals, that have helped them transform their careers and work lives for greater success, impact and reward.
This is info you won’t hear elsewhere as it’s based on everything I’ve personally learned over 40 years of working, including serving as director and VP in my corporate life, to working as a marriage and family therapist, then 17 years of coaching and training over 20,000 professionals across 6 continents.
Here’s what I’ll cover:
- The two critical traits are missing today in the lives and careers of so many professionals that hold them back from success and happiness
- The 7 most damaging power gaps that negatively impact 98% of professional women and 90% of men
- The “antidotes” to these 7 power gaps – which I call the 7 Brave Pathways to Career Bliss
- We’ll also talk about how to leverage your natural talents in a deeper, easier way, and start understanding that you CAN pursue your true career passions while also having strong financial reward
- How to speak truth to power and gain the confidence, courage, self-trust and self-esteem you need to push past your inertia and fears to build a better, happier career with great meaning and reward, without the toxicity, stress and conflict you’re experiencing now.
Bring your career questions to the webinar. I’m happy to answer them! Sign up today at kathycaprino.com/buildyourconfidence2023
Let’s make this a different kind of year where you finally shift and heal beyond where you are today, to something much happier. See you there!
ANNOUNCING THE MOST POWERFUL YOU LIVE 8-WEEK COACHING/TRAINING COURSE (starts February 1st!)
I’m thrilled to be offering a new 8–week LIVE training course with me all about The Most Powerful You content from my book, and how you can address and close the 7 most damaging Power And Confidence Gaps that keep us from thriving in our work. The course starts Wednesday, February 1st!
I’ve been delivering workshops and trainings on The Most Powerful You for over two years now in all sorts of ways for over 50 organizations (including an international division of the United Nations and other top global companies), and folks are saying it’s been truly transformative and life-changing for them.
To make sure everyone can have access to this very same training, I’m thrilled to offer you a live course that includes:
- 8 WEEKLY LIVE, 75-minute Zoom Group Coaching/Training Calls with Kathy
- 8 Video Training Modules (total of 16 videos – 4 hours in total)
- Step-by-Step Career and Confidence-Growth Training Curriculum
- Additional Curated Resources for expanded learning
- Private Online Facebook Support Group
- AND you’ll receive lifetime access to all the training materials and a 20% discount on my private coaching and other programs.
Enroll now as an Early Bird and save $300 off the full price and get 8 great bonuses!
CLICK HERE to learn more and register today! The course begins Feb 1st and spots go quickly!
Order Kathy’s book The Most Powerful You today!
And if you’ve been enjoying the book, we’d so appreciate your giving the book a positive rating and review on Amazon!
For more resources, check out…
Kathy’s Power Gaps Survey, Support To Build Your LinkedIn Profile To Great Success & Other Free Resources
Kathy’s TEDx Talk, Time To Brave Up & Free Career Path Self-Assessment
Kathy’s Amazing Career Project video training course & 6 Dominant Action Styles Quiz
I’m thrilled that both Audible.com and Amazon Music are sponsors of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offers and free trials today!
“What ultimately led me to become a coach was really about opening doors of opportunity for others.” — @OctaviaGoredema [0:05:48]
“Not everyone will see your worth but it’s really important for you to hang onto your worth and to understand your worth and to really embrace your potential.” — @OctaviaGoredema [0:09:19]
“You can’t control what the outcome might be when you use your voice but what you have to control is what you are reaching for, what you are pushing for, and what you know you want.” — @OctaviaGoredema [0:14:51]
“It’s only when you stop and reflect on the bigger picture that you can start to connect the dots and see the impact you’re making and also how you are growing.” — @OctaviaGoredema [0:15:47]
“It’s incredibly important to invest continually in the career advancement of the diverse talent that you’ve worked so hard to hire in the first place so you don’t lose that talent.” — @OctaviaGoredema [0:30:00]
“Be really intentional about telling people what you want to do next, what you’re looking for, and the type of support you’re looking for. It might not be the person you’re talking to who can help but they might know someone who can.” — @OctaviaGoredema [0:34:11]
Watch our Finding Brave episodes on YouTube!
Don’t forget – you can experience each Finding Brave episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my YouTube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!