“Basically a lot of people…end up teaching the course they wish they had taken.” – David Siteman Garland
With the huge popularity of online courses today, you may be wondering if it’s time that you offered a course to your core audience or community, to help them in some meaningful way. If so, what would you choose to teach, who would you desire to help most, and how would you get started developing in?
Today’s expert guest on Finding Brave shares insider tips and strategies to help you answer those questions.
The creator of The Rise To The Top & Create Awesome Online Courses, David Siteman Garland is a top expert in guiding people through the process of creating and selling their own online courses. He’s taught thousands of students in over 100 countries who have launched successful courses on everything from teaching kindergarten to snowboarding.
Not only does David share why online courses are such a great way to scale your business, but you’ll also hear the biggest mistakes people make when when they start out creating an online course. He reveals what you should expect to spend in terms of budget, as well as other powerful suggestions and advice to get you moving in developing and launching your own course that will make a difference to the people you’re passionate about supporting.
Highlights from this Episode:
- How someone can tell when they truly have something to teach – and monetize [4:34]
- Why you shouldn’t discount the power of your own story and use it to sell a course [6:39]
- What makes a successful online course [8:24]
- How David helps his students break things down in order to teach others what they know [11:43]
- The way that someone can identify the perfect niche for what they wish to teach [17:04]
- Why David says that a course for everyone is really a course for nobody [22:41]
- Why you always need to be thinking long-term with courses, and starting small is perfectly fine to do [31:49]
For more information:
David’s Free Training, 7 Steps to Creating, Promoting & Profiting from Online Courses
David’s Podcast & Blog
Shane Olson’s 3D Character Workshop
Renae Christine Way’s Cupcake Trainings
Also of interest:
Kathy’s Forbes Interview with David, Launching A Successful Online Course Can Change The Course Of Your Business
“It’s all about the result. If you’ve gotten the result, there you go.” [6:53]
“When people are starting out, they’re teaching people who were like them at one time.” [10:04]
“If you can’t break it down, the way that I’m going to explain it right now, it’s not a good course topic.” [11:58]
“A lot of times it’s going to take trial and error to find that perfect niche.” [17:12]
“The coolest thing about having an online brand or personality-based business, is that you get to choose who you want to hang out with.” [21:21]
“To know that what you’re doing is helping people in some small, or huge way, is pretty exciting.” [36:11]