Thank you for listening to our Finding Brave show, ranked in the Top 100 Apple Career Podcasts!
“What you want to understand is that before you leap you need to take action to address what is making you so miserable. If you don’t do that, you are going to wake up two years later in the new career and you’re going to be having the same problems.” – Kathy Caprino
I haven’t released a solo episode on the podcast in some time, but I want to take this opportunity today to talk about something that is so relevant for the people I speak with each day in the career coaching and training work that I do. In this episode, I share the 5 biggest blunders career changers make, and I have to admit that I have made each one of these mistakes myself, which is why I can speak to how easily they can happen if we’re not aware of them and making the right decisions and choices.
These blunders are costly and take a tremendous toll on your self-esteem, confidence, and your hopes and visions for the future. But there is a way to avoid these career change mistakes, and it starts with remembering that you are an amazing individual with so many important gifts, talents and capabilities to share. The question is how to get on the path to leveraging these talents and abilities in ways that are going to authentically fit who you really are, and what you want for your life, your family and your livelihood.
Listen in for a full look at the 5 biggest career change blunders and stay to the end as I reveal the 5 essential steps to take when you want change of any kind, in your career and in any area of your life. As always, thank you for listening, and as always, please do let me know if the information I share today helps you navigate these particularly challenging and ever-changing times we find ourselves in right now.
Highlights from this Episode:
- What is “The Pendulum Effect” that creates havoc in our careers, and examples of the ways that I and others have suffered from it [4:02]
- Why I believe that this is such a common mistake people make, and what to understand before you decide to make a career change [7:24]
- Why it’s essential to have sound financial transition plan in place before you pivot or change careers [10:31]
- How having a firm understanding of (and physically “trying on”) the actual work and tasks you’ll be engaged in in the new career will benefit you in the long run [15:03]
- Why doing functional tasks and work you enjoy is not enough to bring you career happiness and success if you can’t support the strategies, tactics and values of your company and work culture [16:43]
- Examples of times that I didn’t “dig deep enough” to understand what I really wanted and needed in my own career, and why I want you to avoid this costly blunder [18:47]
- How the trap of believing that success will be instant and automatic for you will be detrimental to you and your career journey [26:19]
- A powerful 5-step process to engage in if you wish to make any type of significant change in your career (and life) [30:15]
For More Information:
JOIN THE FALL SESSION OF MY AMAZING CAREER PROJECT 16-WEEK COURSE AS AN EARLY BIRD AND SAVE $500 (PLUS 7 GREAT BONUSES)! Course Starts October 18th, 2021.
The Amazing Career Project 16-week online course is designed specifically to teach and guide mid- to high-level professional women around the globe through the 16 most essential steps to building a more rewarding, joyful and fulfilling career they love, with the respect and recognition they deserve. With a proven and highly transformative career-growth process that’s been honed over Kathy’s 16 years of career and leadership coaching, the course helps professional women be able to say, “I know exactly what I want and I’m finally getting it!”
Through the 16 weeks of the course session, you’ll get:
- A 16-week career and personal growth curriculum, with weekly training videos on the 16 most important steps to take for career breakthrough to more career reward, happiness and success. (Lifetime Access to all training material)
- 16 weekly, 75-min. group coaching calls with Kathy (held Thursdays, Noon – 1:15 pm EST) to support your momentum and address your questions, blocks, fears and issues. All calls are recorded.
- 16 powerful, tailored homework assignments to move you forward
- An amazing online support network of members to help you on your journey.
- Each session is capped at a max of 30 members, so there’s plenty of time on each call for personalized support from Kathy
- Direct access to Kathy and all the other course members (past and present) via the online forum, when you need help and support to answer your questions
- Kathy’s hand-picked collection of premier resources for additional help, support and learning
- PLUS: New material added each session, including important material from Kathy’s book The Most Powerful You, and her interviews with 100’s of renowned experts in the field of transformation and career and business growth.
- PLUS: Great lifetime discounts to Kathy’s private coaching programs and events
When you add it all up, that’s a HUGE array of valuable, career- and life-boosting material and support that’s not available elsewhere in any form! For endorsements and video testimonials about the course, visit my Praise page and the course info page.
And the training content of this course has earned a 9.3/10 rating from CourseMarks.com and is in the TOP 5% of 94,680 courses!
If you’re ready to take the essential steps to building an amazing career that you love, CLICK HERE to learn more and register!
I’m thrilled to share the publication of our new monthly newsletter Your Path To Career Bliss starting October 15th, 2021! Each month, this newsletter offers an in-depth exploration of one key career, leadership or personal growth topic that is essential to understand in order to build a happier, more successful and rewarding career or business.
Every issue offers a selection of the MOST read articles that I’ve ever written from my Forbes column, LInkedIn platform and personal blogs (which have over 35 million views and generated thousands of comments and requests for hands-on career support) along with riveting podcast interviews with some of the nation’s top experts, as well as career assessments, resource recommendations, a Subscriber highlight section, and an “Ask Kathy” column and more.
We’ve made it as affordable as possible with 2 tiers to choose from and the first month completely free, and you can cancel at time.
I hope you’ll join me in this program now! CLICK HERE to learn more and claim your free issue today.
Thank you and I can’t wait to help you on Your Path To Career Bliss.
* * * * * *
Order Kathy’s book The Most Powerful You today! In Australia and New Zealand, click here to order, elsewhere outside North America, click here, and in the UK, click here. If you enjoy the book, we’d so appreciate your giving the book a positive rating and review on Amazon!
Other resources mentioned:
Kathy’s Blog Post, Desperate For a Different Career? Change It, But Avoid These Top 5 Blunders
Submit your “Ask Kathy” questions here
Kathy’s Post, Are You a True Coach?
Her TEDx Talk, Time To Brave Up
I’m thrilled that both Audible.com and now Amazon Music are now sponsors of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offers and free trials today!
“Fix, strengthen and change what is broken now, before you leave [your current position]. I promise you it will allow you to be a stronger, more energetic match to the better thing that you want.” [10:11]
“If you are not behind the strategies, tactics, and outcomes that your company is putting out, then you’re not going to be happy, even if you’re doing functional work that you like.” [16:43]
“You’ve got to dig deep to look at what you really want and need in your career. Will it make you the money you want, and will this full-time professional directly be what you want, or would it serve better as a hobby?” [22:38]
“What I see is that people are often not putting in the work. They’re giving up too quickly. You’re not going to have the success that you want if you just throw in the towel when it gets hard.” [26:39]
“Plan for a commitment to making a change, and don’t underestimate that it will take time, money, and energy.” [29:54]
“Get that empowered perspective before you try to move forward, because if you’re coming from a place of disempowerment, the whole process isn’t going to go well.” [32:12]
Watch video versions of my interviews on Finding Brave!
Don’t forget – you can experience each Finding Brave interview episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my Youtube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!
Please share your positive ratings and reviews!
If you enjoy the show, we’d be so very grateful for a positive rating and review on Apple Podcasts! These great ratings help us reach more and more people who are interested in boosting their careers, businesses, and their leadership, and keep in the Top 100 Apple Career Podcasts in the U.S. and around the world and in the top 1.5% of over 2.6 million podcasts! Thank you!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS POST: