Thank you for listening to our Finding Brave show, ranked in the Top 100 Apple Career Podcasts!
“The process of making peace is forgiveness. It’s perfectly ok to be angry, and it’s perfectly helpful to become bitter, protective, and even depressed for a bit, because we’re overwhelmed and we can’t take in this information.” – Dr. Fred Luskin
Forgiving others is not easy to do, and forgiveness is often misunderstood as letting those who have wronged us off the hook without any consequences. But on today’s Finding Brave show, our guest explains why we need to forgive others, and how we can learn to do it, in order to free ourselves from the fear, shame and lack of confidence that so many of us continue to experience when we cannot forgive. It’s all about healing and empowering ourselves to release our experience as “victim” and finally becoming freer to create life as we truly want it, rather than staying stuck in a prison of long-held grudges and desperately-wanted retribution.
A top expert on forgiveness, Dr. Fred Luskin is the director of the Stanford University Forgiveness Projects, a senior consultant in wellness and health promotion at Stanford University, and a professor at the Institute for Transpersonal Psychology, as well as an affiliate faculty member of the Greater Good Science Center.
He serves as department chair of the PsyD program at Sofia University and is the author of the bestselling titles Forgive for Good, and Forgive for Love. His research interests are in stress management, emotional intelligence, positive psychology, forgiveness and wellness.e, career and relationships, both at work and at home.
In this episode, Fred looks at the most common things that hold us back from the act and process of forgiving, as well as provides powerful strategies and tips to help us forgive what we may have previously found “unforgivable.” As he shares, when you learn to forgive for good, it changes you for good (and for the better).
Highlights from this Episode:
- How letting go of certain emotions can lead to a more forgiving relationship with ourselves [6:28]
- The internal process that we go through when discovering that the perceptions and expectations we have are wrong [9:21]
- How Fred defines forgiveness [14:38]
- Why the ability to not take things personally is key to protecting your wellbeing [16:13]
- His process and steps for learning how to forgive others [22:31]
- What living in a place of compassion, for yourself and people as a whole, will lead to [26:48]
- Why we often protect ourselves with our emotions [28:46]
- How to change your story so that you no longer see yourself as a victim [29:21]
For More Information:
JOIN THE FALL SESSION OF MY AMAZING CAREER PROJECT 16-WEEK COURSE AS AN EARLY BIRD AND SAVE $500 (PLUS 7 GREAT BONUSES)! Course Starts October 18th, 2021.
The Amazing Career Project 16-week online course is designed specifically to teach and guide mid- to high-level professional women around the globe through the 16 most essential steps to building a more rewarding, joyful and fulfilling career they love, with the respect and recognition they deserve. With a proven and highly transformative career-growth process that’s been honed over Kathy’s 16 years of career and leadership coaching, the course helps professional women be able to say, “I know exactly what I want and I’m finally getting it!”
Through the 16 weeks of the course session, you’ll get:
- A 16-week career and personal growth curriculum, with weekly training videos on the 16 most important steps to take for career breakthrough to more career reward, happiness and success. (Lifetime Access to all training material)
- 16 weekly, 75-min. group coaching calls with Kathy (held Thursdays, Noon – 1:15 pm EST) to support your momentum and address your questions, blocks, fears and issues. All calls are recorded.
- 16 powerful, tailored homework assignments to move you forward
- An amazing online support network of members to help you on your journey.
- Each session is capped at a max of 30 members, so there’s plenty of time on each call for personalized support from Kathy
- Direct access to Kathy and all the other course members (past and present) via the online forum, when you need help and support to answer your questions
- Kathy’s hand-picked collection of premier resources for additional help, support and learning
- PLUS: New material added each session, including important material from Kathy’s book The Most Powerful You, and her interviews with 100’s of renowned experts in the field of transformation and career and business growth.
- PLUS: Great lifetime discounts to Kathy’s private coaching programs and events
- PLUS: 7 great bonuses (including 75% discount off The Most Powerful You video foundational video training) when you sign up as an early bird before 10/6.
When you add it all up, that’s a HUGE array of valuable, career- and life-boosting material and support that’s not available elsewhere in any form! For endorsements and video testimonials about the course, visit my Praise page and the course info page.
And the training content of this course has earned a 9.3/10 rating from CourseMarks.com and is in the TOP 5% of 94,680 courses!
If you’re ready to take the essential steps to building an amazing career that you love, CLICK HERE to learn more and register!
Order Kathy’s book The Most Powerful You today! In Australia and New Zealand, click here to order, elsewhere outside North America, click here, and in the UK, click here. If you enjoy the book, we’d so appreciate your giving the book a positive rating and review on Amazon!
Other resources mentioned:
Untangling the Mind: Why We Behave the Way We Do by David Theodore George
Become a Sponsor!
We’re excited to be accepting new sponsors for Finding Brave now! If you have a business, program, product or service that helps professionals thrive and that resonates with the messages we share on Finding Brave, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact us via our contact form on the Finding Brave site (https://findingbrave.org/contact) to share more about your work/organization and your proposal. We’d love to speak with you!
I’m thrilled that both Audible.com and now Amazon Music are now sponsors of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offers and free trials today!
Need Some Amazing Assistance with Your Own Podcast? Here’s How to Get It
It’s not often that my wonderful podcast editor Matt and his team at PodAssist take on new clients, but they now have limited spots available to work with more great podcasters. If you’re looking for the best help possible (as I was when I began Finding Brave) in your own podcast today, or you’ve always wanted to launch a podcast but you weren’t even sure how to get it off the ground, this is your chance!
To check out the services they provide, go to www.PodAssist.com and if you’re like I was and want your time and energy back and your podcast to be the best it can be, reach out to him at firstname.lastname@example.org today (use the subject line “Kathy C. Sent Me” for a special bonus)!
Don’t delay – spots are very limited!
“Forgiveness is letting go of that perspective that makes you be tense, hostile, and not accepting of your own life.” [6:28]
“It is very destabilizing and scary to find out that the perceptions and expectations we have are wrong.” [9:31]
“You forgive the people [who have wronged you] for being their unattractive selves, and you forgive yourself for not having the best skills to handle it. [15:21]
“When you over-personalize something, you create a very powerful adrenalized response that amplifies your fear.” [20:24]
“Life has given me so much that I can handle the things that life threw at me that weren’t so nice.” [25:35]
“Our simplest definition of forgiveness is making peace with the word ‘no’.” [28:26]
Watch video versions of my interviews on Finding Brave!
Don’t forget – you can experience each Finding Brave interview episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my Youtube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!
Please share your positive ratings and reviews!
If you enjoy the show, we’d be so very grateful for a positive rating and review on Apple Podcasts! These great ratings help us reach more and more people who are interested in boosting their careers, businesses, and their leadership, and keep in the Top 100 Apple Career Podcasts in the U.S. and around the world and in the top 1.5% of over 2.6 million podcasts! Thank you!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS POST: