Thank you for listening to our Finding Brave show, ranked in the Top 100 Apple Podcasts in Careers!
“The biggest challenge business owners have is knowing what their biggest challenge is, so that became the thesis of the book. How do we figure out what our business really needs from us next?” – Mike Michalowicz
Whether you have a large or small business, often you can face times where you’re not scaling as quickly as you’d like. However It can be tricky to know what the main problem or problems could be, which is why I am so excited to have today’s Finding Brave expert on the show today to share his powerful knowledge of this issue.
Mike Michalowicz is the author of Profit First, Clockwork, Surge, The Pumpkin Plan, and his newest release Fix This Next. By his 35th birthday, Mike had founded and sold two companies – one to private equity and another to a Fortune 500. Today he is running his third multi-million dollar venture, Profit First Professionals.
Mike is a former small business columnist for The Wall Street Journal and the former business makeover specialist on MSNBC. Over the years, Mike has traveled the globe speaking with thousands of entrepreneurs, and is here today to share the best of what he has learned.
In this episode, Mike reveals the importance of knowing and relying on what he refers to as a “business hierarchy of needs,” especially during challenging times, to identify the hidden problems in your business. Mike shares his simple yet very impactful framework for gaining clarity on what to fix next, as well as bringing it to a successful conclusion.
Every time I interview Mike, I learn something truly instrumental to apply to my own business growth and I believe you will too.
Highlights from this Episode:
- What Mike says is his life’s purpose and the ways he wants to help entrepreneurs [2:38]
- How the challenges he’s faced, rather than the wins, have contributed more to what he’s learned [4:06]
- What is the message and big takeaway for readers in his latest book [6:33]
- The 5 levels of needs for a business, or his “business hierarchy of needs” and a case study of a company he’s worked with that used theirs to pivot successfully [9:11]
- Why more sales isn’t the answer for entrepreneurs who believe they are “stuck” [13:28]
- The probing questions to ask yourself to begin to uncover what needs fixing in your business [13:56]
- Why profit is so important to every business, and the margin to aim for [15:22]
- A common mistake most business owners make when money comes in, and what you should always do with the profit that you make [16:40]
- Some additional things that hold many businesses back [21:21]
- Ways you can come up with concepts and frameworks to increase you own thought leadership, as Mike has [23:56]
For More Information:
Order my new book The Most Powerful You today!
If you enjoy the book, thank you in advance for leaving us a 5-star rating and positive review on Amazon!
Subscribe to Kathy’s weekly newsletter at https://kathycaprino.com for book updates, free offers and giveaways, free webinar training, and more. And to discover if you are experiencing any of the 7 damaging power gaps today, take Kathy’s Power Gap Survey and find out!
Other Resources Mentioned:
Sign Up For Kathy’s LinkedIn Newsletter, The Finding Brave Circle
Become a Sponsor!
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor of Finding Brave, we’d love to hear from you! Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org with your proposal and for more information.
“There was this undercurrent that women entrepreneurs were facing, so I started to speak to that community and they carried me on their shoulders to a much broader audience.” [5:48]
“Many people instinctively go to this response where more sales will cure everything, and it doesn’t.” [13:28]
“In many cases when a business has some degree of sales coming in, it’s actually a margin issue, which is part of profit.” [14:23]
“By looking at not just the immediate, but the mid-term and long-term, now we reflect holistically on the implications of a decision and we make much more thoughtful decisions.” [20:59]
“Most of us are making decisions based upon escaping crisis as opposed to pursuing improvement.” [20:09]
I’m thrilled to share that Audible.com is a sponsor of Finding Brave! Take advantage of their great special offer of one FREE book of your choice with a 30-day FREE membership trial! And feel free to keep the book even if you cancel the membership. Click here to sign up for your free book! http://www.audibletrial.com/FindingBrave
Watch the video of this episode!
Now you can experience each Finding Brave episode in both audio and video formats! Check out new and recent episodes on my Youtube channel at YouTube.com/kathycaprino. And please leave us a comment and a thumbs up if you like the show!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS POST: